Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Jimmy Carter wrote (another) book


We Can Have Peace In The Holy Land: A Plan That Will Work is hot off the press. I love Jimmy Carter, but I am a little confused. First, it seems like he just wrote a book. Second, it seems like he wrote the same book. Maybe I am missing something. Disclaimer: I have not yet read this book. But I listened to him on NPR, looked up multiple reviews, and read the press release on the book. I simply cannot figure out what in this book is new. I think as usual, Jimmy Carter displays an incredible depth of understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. And for the most part, I tend to agree with his depiction of Israel. But "A Plan That Will Work"? What plan? It seems like the same dual-state plan he has always espoused, with very little in the way of new or innovative ideas. Someone correct me. 'Else I'm going to have to read the book.

The NPR story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99875313&ft=1&f=1012

Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Mendez Tropical Pool & Patio said...

Maybe it's just his follow-up effort in conjunction with the success of his last book and Obama's inauguration? I.e., put pressure on Obama ASAP to change US policy?

The two-state thing seems to be supported by most of the int'l community, including Hamas, and sometimes Israel claims it supports two states, but Israel always rejects the two-state solution officially when the resolution comes to a vote at the UN. So maybe in the book Carter's showing that it's actually Israel who's doing the rejecting and maybe he's reinforcing the idea that Israel is running an apartheid-type gov't? Of course I'd have to read it.... I didn't read the first one.

Mendez Tropical Pool & Patio said...

PS, this is why Carter was cut from the speaker list at the DNC.

Annalee said...

Yeah, I heard that too. I imagine MB is right about Carter's idea with the new book. But then what is to be done (other than repeating the same argument ad nauseam) about Israel's continued rejection of such plans when they do come before the UN? Or is the point moot because we hold Israel to a completely different set of standards than any other country on the planet?