Monday, June 11, 2007

The Zen of Fish


Ok, so I know my last post started off with a kind of a "fuck you I'm jealous you're in Asia without me" nod to Jamon and Elle Elle, so I am making up for it here with a plug for what looks like it will be an interesting Asia-related book.

Wow. Sorry for the crap intro. Now, the story.

My friend Giulia told me a week or so ago that her friend was coming to New York on his book tour, so I checked out his website: http://www.trevorcorson.com. His new book, The Zen of Fish has been getting great reviews in the New York Times and elsewhere: (http://events.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/books/review/McInerney-t.html), so I thought ok, maybe I'll go. But then I realized that a) Trevor Corson appears in fact to be a very sexy man and b) What else do I have to do at 7pm on a rainy Monday in the city?

So I went with G to the reading, and it was actually...quite...undeniably...fascinating. He read aloud from the book and answered questions about everything from the surprisingly meticulous art of rice-making to the not so surprisingly unavoidable hazards of parasites. (Side note-apparently there is a Parasite Museum located in Tokyo-have either of you been there?). (Also, if parasites are what do it for you: see my previous post on toxoplasma gondii).

Anyway. You might be wondering what I did next, once I discovered that this attractive intelligent guy was also witty and interesting and friends with my friend. I got the hell out of there immediately following the reading, obvi. Oh wait, I am forgetting the part where I raised my hand to ask a question, and somehow added an extra syllable to the word 'sushi.' I think I asked some ridiculously banal question like "what's your favorite sushi restaurant in New York?", but instead of 'sushi' I said 'sushishi' or something. I suck. Anyway check out the book, I think it's going to be great!

ps. Don't yell at me for posting about a cute boy.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: